To ensure that programs are in place for the well-being, care, compensation and commemoration of serving and ex-service Defence Force members and their dependants; and promote Government and community awareness of the need for a secure, stable and progressive Australia.
The RSL (Queensland Branch) was formed in 1919, with the South Eastern District being formed in 1922. Over the years, South Eastern District and its Sub Branches have contributed significantly to the RSL and to the delivery of its objectives to veterans and ex-service personnel, and to serving ADF personnel and their families.
By 1928, South Eastern District had grown to 20 Sub Branches spread across South East Queensland. By 1936, the District had grown to 45 Sub Branches with a combined membership of over 2400. Following WWII, South Eastern District was active in its support of returned service personnel and their families. By 1954, the District had grown to 72 Sub Branches. At its peak in 1962, the District had 86 Sub Branches with a combined membership of 34000 (or 62% of the RSL (Queensland Branch) membership).
The creation of new Districts across South East Queensland from the late 1990s has changed the representation of members. In 2011, South Eastern District has 45 Sub Branches with a combined membership of over 6500 (or 6 % of the RSL (Queensland Branch) membership). The District’s Sub Branches range from Beaudesert and Nerang in the South, Darra and Forest Lake in the West, the Moreton Bay Islands in the East, and Palmwoods in the North.
Since 1928, South Eastern District has supported and provided leadership to the ANZAC Day Combined Parade Committee that organizes the Brisbane ANZAC Day Parade. This remains a significant contribution to the citizens of South East Queensland.
South Eastern District maintains the Victory in Europe Memorial located in the grounds at Oxlade Drive NEW FARM. A number of other memorials are also located in the grounds. The District is a major supporter of the annual VE Day Commemorative Service conducted at the Memorial.
South Eastern District has maintained a close relationship with the property at Oxlade Drive NEW FARM since it was acquired by the Limbless Soldiers’ Association following WWII. South Eastern District has met at the facilities of the Limbless Soldiers’ Association since 1947; it continues to meet at the Limbless Soldiers’ building or the Riverside Ballroom today.
South Eastern District was formed as a Limited Company in 2001, and today manages the lease of properties occupied by the Limbless Soldiers’ building, the Riverside Ballroom and the Merthyr Bowls Club on behalf of the Brisbane City Council. The District Office is located in the Limbless Soldiers’ building, with meeting rooms available on a casual hire basis by Sub Branches, ex service groups and other community groups.